There are two ways of performing a hard reset on your HTC Desire. Both accomplish the same: Erasing all your data, including messages, contact list, installed applications and games. A hard reset will revert your HTC Desire into a factory default state, as if you just bought it. Maybe you want to do this before selling or giving away your phone. Maybe it is acting a bit sluggish and you just want to start over from zero with it, or even perhaps you are suffering something more extreme from your HTC Desire, as it may be completely freezed up.
Hard Reset your HTC Desire, the easy way
If you still have access to your Android OS, you may hard reset it from there. There are different steps for each different Android OS version:
Android OS 2.2
Android OS 2.1: From your HOME screen get into your “Settings” menu, Select “Privacy”, and from there choose “Factory Data Reset”.
Hard Reset your HTC Desire, the not so easy way
This hard reset method is specially useful if your phone is sluggish, freezed or working but in any unreliable way:
- First you need to power off your HTC Desire. If it is freezed into the ON position, just take off it’s battery, wait a couple of seconds and replace it back into the phone.
- Now you hold the “VOLUME -” key, and while holding it press the power button and hold it too until you see three skating Androids at the bottom of your screen.
- A menu will appear, you can navigate thru it with the volume buttons: Select “Bootloader”
- From Bootloader submenu, select “Clear Storage”
- Follow the onscreen instructions for a factory reset
After some seconds you will get your HTC Desire wiped out from all your personal data and ready to start a new life.